Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Afflicted

We all come into this world with a family. Some of us are lucky enough to live not just past our first breath, but all the way to adulthood with a complete family (though the definition of complete may change through the years). Those of us who are this blessed are also afflicted with the craziness that exists in families.

My husband and I watch a handful of shows and one of them is Parenthood on NBC. Last week Adam Braverman (played by Peter Krause) was teaching his nephew how to dance. I use the term dance loosely here. The scene involves the poor nephew watching his uncle dance around in the living room trying to perform some ridiculous dance moves including, but not limited to the worm. Some viewers probably reacted to this scene with laughter, finding it an exaggeration that you would only see on TV. These viewers are not afflicted. They did not grow up with my dad. They have no idea.

My dad is one of the smartest people I know. He is one of those people who oozes confidence and competence and if he is ever negotiating with your company he will play fair, but fierce. Good luck.

My dad is also the biggest goofball I know. The dance sequence had me flashing back to many a day when my dad would burst into “dance” and even if no one is around I was embarrassed. In fact, the scene caused me to squeal “that’s my dad, no really I am pretty sure my dad did that move, and that one, oh geez, this is ridiculous, IT’S MY DAD ON TV!” all while laughing so hard that tears rolled down my cheeks. Jim sat calmly on the other side of the couch in awe. I don’t think he knows how true to life that moment was.
Some families would merely be embarrassed and move on, not my family, no. I chatted with my sister at length about how awful that scene was, and how bad of a dancer my dad is. Oh the hilarity, laughter and fun that Kinna and I had. My other sister has even recorded my dad dancing and if I could get spend more than 10 minutes writing a blog post I would figure out how to post it here because it so completely displays the family affliction known as "dad’s dancing."

What is something that your family does that you consider embarrassing? How do you embrace the traditional affliction?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I thought that scene was hilarious. Made me want to start dancing!

Alan said...

I believe that scene in Parenthood was a scene of a very good dancer . . .