Tuesday, June 8, 2010

10 on Tuesday

Normally I do not participate in Ten on Tuesday, but the topic this week was just too much fun to ignore
I have to put my traditional spin on it so I’m rephrasing the topic

Tradition: Bedtime Stories
Story:
Here is an incomplete list of some of my bedtime stories as a kid. Some were read to me, some read by me, but all are fantastic works of literature

1) 3 Princes of Serendip – Persian fairy tale of three princes and Sri Lanka (serendip) My dad always emphasized how the princes *NOTICE* things. One of the few stories I remember lasting more than 1 bedtime.

2) Oh the places you’ll go – Motivational and typical graduation present, but for me it’s more than that. My dad still sprinkles conversations with lines from this book. Dad always added our name to the final page. It would go like this:

So…be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Britt or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O’Shea, you’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!

3) The MONSTER at the End of this Book Starring Lovable, Furry Old Grover – One of only two books that I think of in my mother’s voice. I’m sure dad read this to us as well, but when I read it myself I hear my mom. Did you know it is an eBook now?

4) Dictionary – Yes, I did have a kids dictionary and yes, I did like it as my bedtime story. I was a fan of words and we even checked off the words when I knew what they meant. I shared a room with my older sister and she was not a fan of my choice in bedtime story.

5) Charlotte’s web – Wonderful prose, this was also the first chapter book I ever read and it started my obsession with pigs (hence pigbook1)

6) Grandma’s Poetry – My father’s grandmother wrote poetry and at some point the family had some of her poems made into a book. I remember memorizing a poem of hers for a presentation in fourth grade. The poem was about seasons, maybe just winter, but I specifically remember the imagery of a symphony of icicles. I’ll have to look at that poem next time I’m home

7) Madeline – I always pictured Madeline as looking like my little sister. Not sure why, maybe it was hair color

8) Little Bear

9) Lady Lovely Locks - when we played make believe my older sister often played the part of the pretty protagonist and I played some other not as gorgeous character. When we played lady lovely locks I always thought I was getting away with cheating because Duchess Ravenwaves (antagonist) was so much prettier than Lady Lovely Locks (protagonist). I'm sure my opinion of the characters came directly from the illustrations in the golden book.

10) Love You Forever - Second of the two books I hear in my mom’s voice. Since I am now a grownup (HA!) I have heard that some people find this book weird or creepy, but I still find it endearing.

No comments: