Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Spicey!

Tradition: Salsa

Story: Today it’s about food.

I love cooking, I love chopping, simmering, sauteing and otherwise playing in the kitchen. I married a man that would prefer to grab something from the freezer and throw it in the toaster oven so our diet has been an adventure based on quick, pre-processed foods. One secret to including some less manufactured food is to eat from the garden.


Jim built a 12 bed garden this past spring and filled it with vegetables: Squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, beans, eggplant, corn, onions and all sorts of fun food. I am not sure how or why we planted 20 pepper plants, but we did. There are wannabe habaneros, jalapenos, sweet pepper and hot banana peppers. I don’t like spicy food so Jim has been making pepper-filled fajitas twice a week to make a dent in the crop, but last night we hit critical mass. We had some ripe tomatoes and some little onions ready to be used. Jim found a recipe for salsa and insisted we make it. I employed my super chopper and began chopping onions, peppers, tomatoes and cilantro

 (I am in love with the bracelet I’m wearing,  you can find it  here).

Jim added salt, pepper,lime juice and some tomato sauce. It was good and needed some adjustments in the seasonings, but after a couple of minutes we had 3 pints of delicious garden salsa. I found it to be amazingly flavorful, but a touch on the hot side.



 Jim thought it was too cool so he added an entire wannabe habanero to a single bowl of salsa. I think I burned my lips off.


We probably could have left out the tomato sauce, added some cucumbers and called it gazpacho which would have been a delight in the warm weather we have had lately.

I didn't actually can the salsa it just fits nicely in the fridge if it's in enclosed containers

1 comment:

Jacob said...

How long will it keep in the fridge?