Friday, October 22, 2010

More Segments

My book list is growing slowly, but it is still growing.

20 Outliers – November book club book. I hated it. I wanted to like it, I wanted to get the point and I wanted to understand it. What I got was that there is a general trend to “geniuses” and it is made of a bunch of factors. The person who has all factors will be successful and I think it is garbage. I think my problem is that he is making a point about the “outliers” those that don’t fit the standard, but instead he just says that they do fit a pattern. That combined with the lack of women in the book and I thoroughly believe the last chapter is not about his mother, it’s about himself. I have many other thoughts, but I will try and save them for bookclub

21 Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2) – This was a much better book than the first one. It’s not that I didn’t’ like the first one, but I liked the second one better. There was more action, but less fighting, less misogyny.

22 The Secret Life of Bees – I loved this book. It has the key to gaining my love, a subtle, underlying mysticism and an actual plot.

23 Lolita – My attempt to read some so called classics. Lolita is disturbing and yet in some weird, strange way I actually enjoyed it. The prose is amazing and walks right up to the line between wordy enough to convey and too wordy so it gets in the way.

What have you read lately? What should I read next?

1 comment:

Alan said...

You should read "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova
It's a great book about Alzheimer's froma a patient's point of view.