Friday, November 5, 2010

Disappeared

Tradition: Halloween Grinch
Story:
I enjoy the dressing up, the Halloween parties, Halloween treats, etc but I HATE trick or treaters. I don’t know why, I’m not as cynical as my mom about them, but I just don’t want to answer the door. Unfortunately I live in perfect trick or treating neighborhood so unless we turn out all lights and leave the house we will get little dressed up kidlets at our door. This year I had a better idea

Over the summer Jim purchased some super cheap curtains lined with blackout fabric. They really helped with the sun over the summer and I’m hoping they help save some energy this winter as well. The biggest problem though, is not our windows, it’s our door. It’s ugly and desperately needs replaced (the result of deferred maintenance). I close the heating vents of most the house only opening those in the living room, kitchen and our bedroom closet. Our front hallway is super drafty and always cold in the winter, but I had a great solution. This year I purchased a couple of 3M hooks and hung a queen-sized comforter in front of the door. It covers the door, the little windows next to the door and covers the molding as well. This has made a HUGE difference in the draftiness of the house and I’m hoping to see our heat costs reflect this change.

More importantly, because I hung it up on Halloween we didn’t have to completely turn all lights off, we just turned out the porch lights, closed all the curtains and enjoyed a movie in dim lighting. It was successful and we received not a single trick-or-treater.

1 comment:

Alan said...

Yep, you're like your mom when it comes to Halloween . . .
I actually like giving out the candy.