Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Caterpillar Time

This month’s circles are rather bland some of them are already off my bookshelf and onto someone who wants them via the swap feature on Good Reads.

The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton – Troublesome story about a troublesome family in the Midwest told from the perspective of a slow, but smart girl.

What Girls Learn: A Novel by Karin Cook – Story about a family where the matriarch suffers through breast cancer. The story is told from the perspective of one daughter. Decent read, moved quick enough and left me feeling wanting which is the point I think. The characters are left wanting and the reader can connect with that.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – Really fun book. I had a hard time determining what age this was written for. The writing was not difficult and I would suspect an 8 year old who is a good reader or a 10/12 year old right on track could understand everything that happens. Unfortunately I think some of the scenes are too vivid for children of that age. Then again, I’m not a parent so I don’t have to worry about whether it is appropriate for my kids. I am looking forward to reading the other two books in this series

The Buffalo Soldier by Chris Bohjalian – I had higher hopes for this book after reading Midwives. The writing was smooth, but the story was ridiculously predictable and yet unrealistic (apparently that’s possible). One positive thing was how connected I became to the characters and their stupidity.

My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult – Good enough, predicted the ending and just about every “twist” in the book from the second page. I guess I can watch the movie now.

These is My Words by Nancy E. Turner – Book club book. I don’t think it is amazing and it seemed rather long to me. I’m not sure what I am supposed to walk away from the book feeling/knowing, but it had some of the things I love about historical fiction so that's good enough. I am looking forward to book club and everyone's reactions

What have you read lately? Should I add anything to my list of books to read?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm reading All Brave Sailors right now. It's about a group of men in a small jolly boat after their boat is attacked and sunk and the German captain orders all the survivors shot and killed as well. This boat managed to sneak away and was at sea for 70 days before being found. It's possibly a little dry to start as you get history filled in but it's also very nail biting as you read about the guys trying to survive.

Ann in the UP said...

I had a jolly short read yesterday. A book called Walking Across Egypt, by Clyde Edgerton. As a person of beyond a certain age, I love a feisty old heroine. It was very funny.

I was gobsmacked by the ending of My Sister's Keeper, though, thinking about it, I should have figured it out earlier.

Sharp Pointy Sticks said...

I liked the Hunger Games. I had the same reaction as you, who should be reading this? I hesitate to recommend it to my students (12/13), but then I read the author's note at the end of the last book and realized that the stuff that happens in the book really isn't the far from what they see in the news and what they learn in ancient history in 7th grade. I can't wait to hear what you think of the second two books! They've started casting for the movie :)