Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Good, The Bad, The Possibilities

With a new job come many new traditions, new routines and new challenges

What I'll Miss

Proximity to China town – cheap bahn mi, grocery stores with just the ingredients that I need to make a relatively exotic dish. It was always a good destination for a quick walk when I need to get away from my desk

Art in the Channel – fort point is considered somewhat artsy and every year there is some form of art placed directly in the channel. One year it was a house made of supersized playing cards. Last year it was an interesting array of large flowers that were made from laundry detergent bottles.


Farmers’ Market in Dewey Square (aka south station) – great farmers market where I could buy fresh, local produce, flowers and even yarn


Walking – I was forced to walk every day. Since my commute will be more of the couch to car to parking lot right outside building all of that free exercise is lost.

Reading/knitting – when traveling by train reading and knitting is an obvious choice to fill time, I will be driving to my new job so that free knitting/reading time will be lost

Some of my coworkers – I have worked with some amazingly nice people for the past three years. I'll miss the conversations about gardening, sports and other shared interests

What I won’t miss

3 hours of commuting a day – commuting that costs 3 hours and roughly $11/day not including gas or mileage or whatever is needed to make it through the New England weather. Not to mention if I leave work in the middle of the day (when trains run sporadically) due to sickness/emergency it still takes me 2 hours just to get to my car. New commute is 1 hour/day thank goodness

Walking over the summer street bridge – the wind is strong and freezing cold for 2/3 of the year. When other people have left behind their scarves and mittens for a month I am still wearing them to guard against frostbite for that 1 block of my commute




The company – not the worst company on the planet, but they were really good at discouraging growth, new ideas and efficiency.

My freezing cubicle – I don’t know if my new cube is warm and wonderful, but I won’t miss the drafty windows that forced me to wear fingerless gloves year round just so I could feel my fingers

Some of my coworkers – if you treat me like the gum on the bottom of your shoe I’m likely to forget you as soon as I walk out of the office on my last day

What I look forward to


New people - getting to know the personalities and interests of my new co-workers

Music - I sing along with music, all the time. It is one of my most endearing qualities (unless you have to listen to it) More time in the car means more singing

Missing the sunrise - sunrises are gorgeous, but they are early. I will not miss seeing the sunrise in the middle of April.

Getting Back - doing work closer to what I used to do, work that I won't master in 3 weeks and hopefully work I don't feel stuck in.

Cute Shoes - I used to wear a large variety of shoes, but that changed when I worked in Boston. Shoes had to carry my chunky self and not kill my legs, feet or back through all my walking. This meant wearing tennis shoes pretty much every day, I can't wait to wear some cute flats and sandals!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

congrats on the new job! :) It is great!

Ann in the UP said...

I'm glad you see lots of "upside" to the changes in your situation. I hope it's a great place for you to contribute and grow. Good luck!