Monday, May 2, 2011

Caterpillar - April Edition

The Lace Reader, Brunonia Barry – Exactly the kind of book I like to read, underlying mysticism, enjoyable plot, conflict, etc. Loved it. Not life changing, nor would I read it a second time, but I would recommend it.

The Mark of the Angel: A Novel, by Nancy Huston – I felt this book boring, and non-climactic

Love Means… Courage , by Andrew Grey–  First audiobook from the library. I didn’t read the blurb to know what it was about and had I, it would have never been downloaded. First, the premise isn’t that interesting to me. Second, the author went to great detail to explain how the main character walked into his office, but when someone in the book dies there are no details. Not about the death, not about how characters react, nothing. No delving into emotions. There were love scenes a plenty (which I really don’t need in a book) and the writing was poor. I do not recommend it.

Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up, by Dave Barry – Another audio book for my commute. Fun collection of some of Dave’s articles.

Flying Changes, by Sara Gruen – This was a fun book, relatively predictable, but the main character was neurotic enough that she was relatable.

My reading has most definitely slowed down since my commute was chopped short, thankfully the audiobooks add some literature to my life and I am using the extra time to make some much needed improvements. I still get a couple of minutes of reading before I fall asleep, but nothing extreme. 

1 comment:

Ann in the UP said...

Do you like historical fiction? I just finished Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell. It has enough historical references in it to send me searching for her sources----maybe------someday.