Friday, July 15, 2011

Caterpillar May/June

49. Maniac Magee, Jerry Spinelli – I will have a full post on this later, but this was a CCSBC selection

50. The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Elizabeth George Speare – Book club book, wasn’t a fan but I probably would have loved it in fourth grade

51. The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand – Hated! It was so full of preaching. There would be a conversation between characters and it would be all preachy mcpreachypants for a chapter, a quick, short, change in scenery or a small movement in the story and then another chapter of preaching.

52. Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen – Loved the beginning, because I love old people and I thought the storytelling through the middle was great. The ending was super ridiculously cheesy and sort of ruined the book for me, but I think it was still worth reading

53. The Almost Moon, Alice Sebold – De.press.ing. lady kills her mother then spends the rest of the book dealing with it before the cops bring her in for questioning the next day

54. The Used World: A Novel, Haven Kimmel – I enjoyed this novel, but it wasn’t amazing, but a great summer read.

55. The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls – this was a well written memoir. It criticized without making the author’s parents out to be completely incompetent or psychotic (though their mental health could be questioned). The thing I really liked about this book was that it made me think about all the things that were normal in my family but when I mention them some people find them to be completely odd. Kids don’t know anything is abnormal and as an adult I look back fondly to those things which were normal back in the day

56. Holidays on Ice, David Sedaris – I love david Sedaris, but I think his stories are 10 times better if he is reading/telling them. 

1 comment:

Ann in the UP said...

I will have to save this page somehow and save myself a world of boredom and annoyance. I agree completely with you regarding the books I've read. (I never could figure out why Ayn Rand had a following, for instance.) But sometimes books are worth reading just so you know what others are talking about.