Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Rewarding the work

Today I am going to focus on rewarding milestones or recognizing something that has become a real tradition, a habit, something that defines you in the way you want to be defined. If you set goals for yourself then this is an idea similar to mini goals or short-term goals.

I do not set goals but rather define myself more fully through traditions and thereby have a general path to travel. Along the path I place reward points. If I am continuing to move along the path I am going to pass each point. At each point I can continue moving forward or I can redefine the path.

The one thing that makes these points special is that I reward myself. The reward may be small at each point or maybe because of the progression and general difficulty of the journey each reward is slightly bigger or more exciting than the one before culminating in a grand reward. Either way is great, but I think for some journeys they are crucial. Crucial because the progression is slow, and it is easy to focus on the future while ignoring the past. It is smart thing to take the time to see how you have progressed, changed and become more deeply you.

I recently reached one of those reward points and once I was there the reward was easy. I cut my hair. Such a minor change and yet it felt like a brand new start or platform to begin the rest of the work I need to do for this tradition.

Unfortunately, I have defined my next reward point, but have not figured out what the reward is going to be. Some things I really like to do as a reward:

  • Take a day trip somewhere you always mean to go, but have yet to make. If you need ideas look for state parks near you, search for a hike nearby or hit up a beach on a weekday
  • Indulge in your hobby – buy that special tool that you don’t need, but have been eyeing for years
  • Take a day off – some traditions take so much energy before they become a real tradition that giving yourself a break is the only thing needed to rejuvenate the plan
  • Get pretty – get your nails done, get a facial, get a haircut or buy a cute new top, a pair of shoes or a new pair of earrings
  • Do something different or new – this one works especially well for “traditional” goals (think saving money or losing weight) – the basic idea is to take what you are already doing and do something different and fun, something slightly outside your comfort zone. If you are saving money, use your entertainment budget to see a movie you would otherwise never see. If you are into mainstream movies maybe venture to an artsy theater this time instead of your standard Hollywood release. If you are losing weight try a new exercise. If running is your thing try a class, if you normally do classes maybe join a different class. Try yoga instead of zumba or try hip hop dancing instead of pilates. Just mix it up without committing to a long-term change in your routine
What are you going to do to reward yourself?

More on My haircut next time

1 comment:

omly said...

Yay looking forward to pictures