Thursday, November 24, 2011

Being hip and cool

We are trying to do some lower cost home improvements in our house. The kitchen is first, we are slowly sanding and re-staining our kitchen cabinets a gunstock color from Cabot. We did a couple of coats so it's darker than the sample appears


Once that is done we will get a new FLOOR! The floor is something we have needed since we moved in and due to some crazy normal life stuff we haven’t gotten around to it. This is the flooring I want, it's a laminate flooring that looks like slate rather than wood floor.


As the improvements are made I’ve been spending an excessive amount of time on pinterest looking at all of the great ideas that float around the internet.

In my kitchen I want to paint a chalkboard wall (like the one I pinned here), but Jim is not a fan so we’ll have to compromise on that one.

In the hallway between my front door and my kitchen I am totally hopping on the bandwagon of all those people with a wall of photos.  We don’t have tons of family photos so I was thinking we would put 1 picture of Jim and me, then we would fill some with pictures of my family and a couple pictures of the tortoises. I also want to scatter a few fun/funny/sweet phrases in a couple frames as well. I will even write/modgepodge a couple on the matting of some of the pictures.

Here are some of the quotes I’m going to use
-I like who we are when we are around us (on the matting around the picture of us)
-The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things
-Life isn’t about finding yourself life is about creating yourself
-Carpe the Hell out of this Diem
-Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful (thinking of knitting a piece of lace and pinning it under some matting that has this quote)

The only thing I haven’t figured out for this wall is the color. I definitely want to paint, but I have no idea what color. Purple is out because as much as I try to convince Jim that purple would be awesome, he keeps vetoing that idea.

What little changes have you been making around your house?

No comments: