Monday, January 9, 2012

Dough, Week 1 - Don't forget the salt

To build tradition 2 I have set aside some time for cooking. My house feels more like my home if I cook, it’s just something that I connect with. I typically get up before my husband on Saturdays, which means I can accomplish some chores before we get going for the day. I’m hoping that every other week (or so) I can make dough on the weekends. To start the new year I made Pretzels and Pizza dough. I’m also trying to find some really good recipes to add to our normal rotation.

The pizza dough I made was an amazing texture and it would have been the most perfect dough ever if I had remembered to add the salt. We typically buy dough from the store and freeze it anyways and though I won’t save any money making it myself, it’s only a few cents more and the texture is way better. Plus I will be able to add some whole wheat flour to get a few more nutrients from a nutrient light meal. I’m using a recipe from King Arthur Flour, but instead of freezing the dough after cooking I froze the dough before cooking.


Here’s the recipe I used, it made enough for three crusts
3.5 Cups All purpose flour (I use King Arthur, unbleached)
2.5 Cups semolina (I used bob’s because that’s the only kind my grocery store carried)
2 teaspoons yeast
2.5 teaspoons salt
4 Tablespoons olive oil
2.25 cups warm water

I did not have instant yeast so I actually bloomed mine in the warm water with a sprinkle of flour, it worked just fine.

Beat everything with paddle attachment for 2 minutes, switch to dough attachment and knead for 7 minutes. Let rise for 1 hour, put in fridge for 6 hours. At this point I split the dough in thirds and wrapped two hunks individually in plastic wrap, then stuck them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer. The third chunk I left in the fridge for awhile (maybe another couple of hours) and then spread it on a greased (with crisco) pizza pan and baked it with toppings.

When setting about to use the frozen chunks, defrost them over night or during the day in the fridge. If you forget to pull them out of the freezer before dinner put the zip-top bag in a bowl of warm water, it will probably take about a half hour if you keep refreshing the water when it gets cold. The dough will be sticky, just put a tiny bit of oil on your pan, and use your hands to get it on all sides of the pan, then work with the dough. We topped our second pizza with broccoli and cheese. It was yummy (and again, would have been perfect if I remembered the salt)

The original recipe can be found here and it calls for baking the crust before freezing (or topping)

1 comment:

Ann in the UP said...

I quite agree that my house is homey and cozy when something is cooking. I'll have to try your pizza crusts. They sound delicious and not difficult at all. We like home made pretzels, too.