Monday, January 16, 2012

Dough, week 2 blueberries in the middle of winter

This week in the kitchen I attempted some crusty/artisan style bread, it was a GIANT failure. I did make more pizza dough, and this time I remembered the salt! I also made one of the few things that my husband requests from my repertoire of recipes: Blueberry Muffins

This recipe starts every summer when I go blueberry picking. I drag my husband along and we pick 3 gallons or so. I freeze wash and dry the berries and then lay them on a single layer on a sheet pan, then I stick the pans in the freezer. Once the berries are completely frozen they go into zip-top bags. These blueberries are so fantastic in oatmeal (more on my personal oatmeal transformation later) and they also serve perfectly in muffins.The frozen berries are not quite as perfect as fresh, but they are really close, and closer than I could find anywhere in the middle of winter. 

The wet and dry in my muffin bowl

I always use some of the dry ingredients to coat the blueberries

Waiting for the oven

 
Perfectly Blueberrian

The all time best blueberry muffin:

2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar (I would not cut this amount if you can avoid it)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 stick butter
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups blueberries

Preheat the oven to 400 F
Put your favorite muffin pan on the count and spray liberally with non-stick spray.

Put the blueberries in a cereal bowl
Put the flour, sugar, b. powder, b. soda, and salt in your favorite mixing bowl. Mix with a fork, then scoop a couple tablespoons out and sprinkle on the blueberries. In another bowl mix the yogurt, egg, and vanilla. Melt the butter and add it to the yogurt mixture. Mix with a fork. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and stir enough to fully incorporate. Toss the blueberries a bit then add them to the batter bowl. Fold together.

Use a 1/3rd measuring cup scoop the batter into the muffin pan.

Bake at 400 for 20+ minutes or until they look barely golden on top.

I suggest that you take the muffins out of the pan as soon as you can and place on a cooling rack. I sometimes just flip them out onto a cooling rack, but then you end up with little lines (you can see that on the center muffin in the picture above) on top of your perfect muffin. The other option is do a fun little twist/lift with each muffin individually. If you do it fast you won't even burn your fingers.

No comments: