Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Documentaries: a love affair

I have opined before my love of documentaries, but let’s rehash some thoughts about what I love about documentaries. What I want and what I don’t want.

I do not want: a call to action
I do want: a connection and truth

Documentaries come in so many styles, there are what I call the nat-geo-discovery style, where in we focus on how something is born, grows, dies, etc. These are typically nature related and unless I’m in science class or specifically interested in the topic at hand I don’t seek this variety out because there is no connection. Though a decent non-nature one is Helvetica I couldn't get Jim to watch that one

Then there are those that are all about injustices. Environmental injustices, political, etc. I. do. Not. Watch. These. Films. It’s the implied (or overt) call to action. Don’t enjoy it, don’t want it. I really do think there are as many causes as there are people and there is only so much depression I can take, so I don’t seek it out in my entertainment. Plus they make me angry. The call to action is often found in the nat-geo-style, but as long as there isn’t too much it won’t stop me from watching it.

Then there are the Stories of things that don’t make a good Hollywood blockbuster. I LOVE THESE! Love them. Love, love, love them. I convinced Jim to watch 2 documentaries this weekend

1) Nat-geo-disc style one about Loggerhead Sea Turtles. Super cute turtles, I wanted to go swim with them

2) Being Elmo

Being Elmo was AWESOME! I was expecting some huge controversial facts to be revealed. Instead it was a guy who worked with his talents to become what he wanted to be and Elmo fell into the plan. I loved a point he made about the Tickle Me Elmo doll. Elmo doesn’t say “me” Think about every time you have heard Elmo talks, it’s never give me a hug it’s give Elmo a hug and Elmo like you and such. Anyways it was awesome and I kind of wish they had gone into a bit deeper where Elmo’s personality comes from. They do a bit, but I wanted MORE! Anyways, it was a good one, I suggest it (available streaming through netflix)

Someday I’m going to make it to silverdocs in DC and watch a TON of documentaries

No comments: