Friday, March 23, 2012

Flowers of Tradition

Tradition: Bulb flowers

Story:

Tulips are my favorite flower and crocuses are like a pre-tulip treat. In my backyard my crocuses have bloomed and they are even more beautiful than usual. We have three different colors white, purple and a white/purple awesomeness. I went out to take pictures and realized how hard it is to get a good picture of a short flower. We had laid down mulch so I couldn’t get my face as close to the ground as I needed to so that I could see the camera screen. The result?

Note, Kill the flash

Hey look, a stem
Focus on death

garden light blocked by a fuzzy flower



I’m not really a photographer to begin with, but such awful pictures can get annoying. Thankfully my camera has two macro settings and an image stabilizer. Using those tools I was able to get a couple of nice pictures.

Such a happy flower

closed up in the evening

Love this one, might try to play with it in picasa or instagram

Focus on life


Awhile back my mom (who is an amazing photographer) took some lovely pictures of flowers and streams and such and had mounted them on blank cards. I used them all the time for thank you cards, get well cards, thinking of you cards, etc. I think this year I’m going to try and take pictures of the flowers in my garden and then at the end use them for cards or ask my mom to make them into cards for me (it would be a perfect birthday present). Two options from this set of pictures

Almost evokes a cottage garden on the edge of a wood


These crocuses are stunning in person

3 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

Well, what do I know? I enjoyed all your crocus pictures----even the ones you didn't like. Mine were here and gone very quickly. My iris leaves are growing by the hour!

Julie said...

Crocus are NOT easy to photograph. You did a fabulous job, they are beautiful!

Susan said...

Beautiful crocuses!! Ours haven't even bloomed yet, though I don't think I will be able to photograph them so nicely when and if they do.