Monday, April 8, 2013

Sometimes it's unwearable

Beware, negativity ahead, come back tomorrow for some redemptive cheer.

So I don’t knit a lot of sweaters, nothing is every quite right when I make it and my most recent project was no exception. Up until my last sweater I would have never thought the designer/pattern writer was the problem, I needed to make adjustments and/or choose a better yarn for the projects, etc. Basically I don’t blame any of my previous sweater failures on the pattern or designer they are all basically my fault. That is until now.

I made a sweater that was the most poorly written pattern I have ever come across. Now, understand I don’t want to be a debbie downer so here is some further info. My two pals and I all knit the same sweater and two out of three of us ended up with a relatively wearable article of clothing. We chose the pattern because it was adorable and worked with the yarn we wanted to use. Basically, we went in excited, and while I won’t speak for the others, I don’t think any of us really found that the pattern met our expectations. That is not to say it was a complete failure for either of them (though it was for me), but I don’t think it was a huge resounding success either. This sounds harsh, but I’m not a super critic of patterns, I want the pattern to be relatively easy to read (even if it is complex) and I expect there to not be more than a couple of mistakes, and I expect that if I pay you for a pattern part of that money was originally invested in paying someone to tech-edit the pattern. This pattern did not meet any of those requirements

First, it was written in large font, in two columns so that even a row that required just a short line required 3+ lines of the page. This makes a pattern very difficult to follow. If this were the only problem, I wouldn’t complain about this pattern

Second, there was a mistake on the FIRST pattern row of my size, and this lack of attention to detail continued throughout the pattern for the size I made. It was clear the author just pasted the pattern from another size, but didn’t bother to go back and fix ALL the numbers and counts to match the instructions for the size. All of this showed a lack of a real tech editor.

 Third, my sweater is unwearable. It turned out super low at the back neck and super wide at the top so there is no way to get the sweater to wear like a sweater. Now, normally I would say that it was my fault in some manner, but honestly I kept a ridiculously detailed account of where/when things were supposed to happen and I am confident there were either a) mistakes that I missed or b) no testing of this size or c) POOR adjustments made for the size I knit

Basically I wish I hadn’t knit the pattern and even more so I wish I hadn’t paid for the pattern. So after this disastrous project I decided to choose a redemptive sweater that has great examples on ravelry, has little extras included in the pattern (like a chart for increases) and I’m going to make adjustments. I’m going to put in tons of effort to make this sweater the opposite of the last one.

 I’m starting with this pattern: Julissa I’m adding adjustments based on the knowledge I’ve gained in this book: Knit to Flatter

So far I’m knitting as written but stopping the front/back decreases early, adding the lace panel, while still continuing the arm increases per the size instructions. Come back tomorrow for an honest, complete review of the book I’m using for this adventure

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Sometimes sweater patterns just can't be saved. I've ripped more than one out and recently just tossed one in the trash. Hope you're next one works out!