Saturday, June 8, 2013

Ten-On-Not-Tuesday

There are some great topics given by Carole over on Carole Knits but sometimes Bridgett comes up with other great topics. So I am stealing from her most recent and I’m going to tell you about 10 Teachers that made a difference. These are all “formal” teachers, but some are school and some are religious teachers. *note, this is a mix of school and religious teacher from my youth

1) Ms. H (see post about her here) – she recently retired and that is a crime against the Salem-Keizer School District

2) Mrs. F (3rd grade) – the thing I remember most about this entire school year was my teacher’s ability to use different voices for each character in a book. She read aloud to the class and I remember her reading The Indian in the Cupboard series and The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (and crying)

 3) Mrs. B (my sisters’ teacher) – I always wanted to be in her class, but due to her moving from Kindergarten to 1st grade the year I was in Kindergarten (then first grade) her class was too full so I was never in there. She was amazing at teaching for multiple abilities/levels all in the same class, plus she knew all the goodbyes (see ya later alligator, in awhile crocodile, see ya soon baboon, etc)

4) Sister B – I couldn't tell you what age I was when she was my Sunday school teacher but she was the sister/aunt of some family friends. I know she was more used to teaching older kids (teenagers) because she did a lot of things that I recognized (in the future) as seminary- focused. That’s probably why I liked her, she treated us like real people, not just like kids that didn’t know what was going on. She was great!

5) Brother P – He was our teacher my last year of primary (age 11 turning 12). I liked him because sometimes he would get super off topic and we’d have “life” discussions. I am not sure what was going on in his normal life, but I always felt he got as much out of class as we did, so I really liked being a contributing factor. I’m friends with his wife on facebook and she was recently diagnosed with a pretty fast moving/growing/spreading/bad cancer. I am going to have to write them a letter

6) Brother H – WORST religious teacher I ever had. He and I butted heads over logistics and doctrine. He implied many things that are just straight up NOT TRUE. He was pretty buddy buddy with some kids in my seminary class, but he and I were not friends. He found out I wouldn’t attend seminary graduation so he asked me to speak (I love giving talks) but he had no idea how bad of an idea that was for him. He assigned a section which he had previously taught as being really focused on women’s “inherent” gifts and other garbage that is easy to assume, but completely misses the point of the passage. So I took that section and used in my introduction to a completely non-religious look at how music impacts and influences our lives, moods and feelings. I’m still VERY proud of that speech, but it did nothing to tell people that I learned anything scriptural while in his class (2.5 years of poor teaching)

 7) Mr. G (Middle school Geography aka history/places) – worst drawer ever. His united states always looked like a 3 year old drawing a cat, but he was good natured about it

8) Mr. M (Freshman Science) – Taught the basics of science and expected kids to behave in the classroom, but he wasn’t as serious a person as it appeared. He always used that saying “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig. I’m sure he was using that in reference to some very specific traits in very specific people, but I never caught on and looking back I don’t remember who he was referring to (so it was probably me).

9) Mr. S (Freshman Math) – The one and only teacher I think I truly missed out on in High School. I moved schools after freshman year (and then had to re-take a math class, long, painful story) I did not have the benefit of going through the entire Honors Math program at my first high school, which was basically taught by one guy. He was an amazing math teacher, could explain things 12 ways so those that didn’t get it from the first lesson, understood it by the time the test came around. He played guitar, read more than anyone. He had some really random posters around his room (like the corn palace and head smashed in buffalo jump) and he had busts of famous math/science dudes that you could sit on your desk during tests to bring you good juju. It was hilarious to have Euclid on your desk in the middle of a geometry exam.

10) Mr O – taught my computer class by default, he was originally an economics(?) teacher I think. Anyways, way too invested in us kids which was a huge benefit to us, but I’m not sure how he ever had a normal life. I don't think he teaches school any longer(though maybe) and that’s too bad, but probably better for him in the long run. He taught and competed in martial arts as well and had his own gym. I should really at some point attempt o figure out what happened because he was a huge help in getting me a job in HS and getting me into a decent college.

No comments: